I wanted a nice quick and easy project for the weekend. Enter Burda WOF 10/07 and the cute jumper dress.
At least I thought it would be quick!
It was the age old story of more hurry, less speed- or is that less speed more hurry- it should have been less of both I am afraid!
I had the pattern (albiet in Spanish. I know 3 words in Spanish- none of them are used in pattern directions!)
I had the fabric- striped stretch suiting from Paron's in NYC.
I had the vision - Jaeng wore the dress in NYC
I had the time.
I also had the "connie you are an idiot" bang myself on top of my head experiences that only a rank amateur should have!
This is what happened. I cut out the fabric...with the stripes going the wrong way....twice! Which left me no fabric for a belt. Micaela - there will be no belt unless it is black.
I did a good job on the bodice- the understitching is perfect. I used self fabric for the lining. Yay me
I put the sleeves on backwards - only once though!
I sewed the back lining on backwards - and left the stupid thing that way!
I sewed the bodice AND the facing to the skirt instead of only the bodice then hand stitching the lining on. And I did not notice that until I double stitched, and also sewed some grosgrain on for stability as the skirt is heavier than I thought it would be. I would not have done that when I was 12!
Then - to add insult to injury...
I looked at it this afternnon and DDUUHH I sewed both the sleeves AND the skirt to the WRONG side of the bodice- and now of course the understiching is glaring me in the face on the (now) right side of the bodice! It is too late in the game to rip it apart so the only fix is to take out the understitching and hope it will roll to the (now) inside. I won't be able to undertitch that - I may have to topstitch.
Sometimes I wonder why I sew!
Almost forgot a Vintage pic
Mike and I on our wedding day over 26 years ago (yes I made the dress)